Sunday, March 23, 2014

Race Report: Paleozoic Trail Race

I am a sucker for a new experience, and yesterday was definitely a race experience unlike any I've had before. It was my first trail race, The Paleozoic Trail Race, and it was simply awesome.

The morning started as most other mornings of a race for me, kind of a crazy mess. Waking up early, trying to drink just the right amount of coffee, eating oatmeal made in the exact right way, obsessing over what to wear, and packing an obscene amount of gear into my bag for "just in case." I promise I really am a fairly laid back person, but put me in a situation where I will be active for an extended period of time and I suddenly turn into someone with a slight case of obsessive tendencies. It's ok, it's very temporary.

My friend Tammy picked me up at 7:30, we made our way to find our other friend Janelle, and off we went into the unknown world of Palos Park where the race took place. I've lived in Chicago for about 6 years and while I know the city well, ask me to go anywhere outside the city other than my grandpa's house in Mt. Prospect, I probably have no idea where it is. Thank goodness for google maps and friends who knew where we were going!

We turned off of highway 55 onto a smaller highway, and then onto a smaller road and the car went silent. I don't know, but I'm pretty sure we were all thinking the same thing. Hills, trees, snow...we were not in Chicago anymore. We had been sent very informative emails from the race directors about needing yax trax and trail shoes, but I don't think any of us really believed it. Surely the course wouldn't be that bad, it was just a run on a trail. Ha...

We made it to the packet pick-up in about two minutes-- small races are the best. Got our race shirts that have dinosaurs on them (my students are going to love seeing it!) and race bibs and then had plenty of time to sit in the car and be nervous/excited. The beautiful thing about these two friends is that they're up for just about anything. I've told them before, but I'm pretty sure I'd follow them into a burning building because I think they're so bad ass. They were the perfect people to sit with while I wondered silently if this would be the best or worst decision I'd made in a while.

When it got close to 9:30, we followed the "crowd" of maybe 50 people over to the picnic shelter and the race director told us we'd get started in about 10 minutes. He got up on a picnic table and gave us a few announcements. I stood there smiling because he reminded me so much of my sweet dad. He told us to be careful out there, that safety and having fun should come first, that this might not be the day for a personal best, and to remember that the course was not ideal. He also was wearing just a fleece and jeans in pretty chilly weather and had a slight Minnesota accent (at least it sounded like it). It seriously could have been my dad, who is the perfect person to talk to before anything challenging. My nerves calmed down and I pretended we were in Minnesota. And then, just like that, we huddled up to the starting mat, the race director sounded a horn, and off we went.

Ready to start the race!
The first few steps were the worst of the race in my mind. The director had told us that we'd get nice and muddy right from the beginning, and he was right. There was no option but to run right into the grassy, wet, mud and by the time we had run maybe 50 yards my feet were cold and wet. Sounds miserable, right? I have to say, no! I was smiling. I was already loving it.

We took a turn onto a gravel path, which quickly turned into a snowy/muddy/icy mix. We splashed through puddles and ran in kind of a line through the "nicest" part of the trail that had some matted down leaves over mud. It took maybe a mile or two for Tammy, Janelle and I to all find each other and be able to talk about what the heck was going on. We were all panting and working hard to adjust to this new style of running and I think Tammy said it best, it was both awful and awesome all at the same time. Janelle and I grunted our agreement and we kept going.

Within the first couple of miles, we went up a massive hill. We had seen this hill when hiding in the car before the start of the race, and had in fact watched some kids who could have been my students roll down the hill. We laughed at the time that hoped we weren't going up or down that during the race. Well, sure enough, we were going up! And, not only were we going up, we'd be coming down later as it was an out and back course. The massive hill was not just a hill, it was covered in ice. I would call our technique to get up it, the laughing side step. There was no running involved here, we were literally walking sideways up that hill. It was hilarious and I loved it.

The course continued on...snow and ice that had us walk-running with arms flailing, mud that would pull on our shoes and make us wonder if the shoe would stay in the mud, giant and I mean giant puddles that we had no choice to run through. I think my favorite was the puddles. As Janelle said, it felt kind of refreshing. I can't decided which I disliked more, the sticky mud or the ice. Probably the ice. Check out this picture Tammy took of the course:

By far the best part of the course was the half way point where there was literally a buffet of snacks and a lovely volunteer keeping it stocked. Unlike a road race where you throw water down your throat and keep running, during an ultra trail race, you come to a complete stop and enjoy yourself. I drank a cup of gatorade and water, ate a half a banana and stuffed jelly beans in my pockets. We also stretched, talked to the volunteer, and tightened our shoe laces.

Check out those snacks!
After we relaxed at the rest stop, it was time to head back. It was both easier and harder to make our way back to where we started. Easier because we recognized certain hills and parts of the course that reminded us we were getting closer. But more difficult because as we became more and more tired, it was more and more challenging to watch the footing. Luckily we all stayed safe and made it through just fine.

I crossed the finish line smiling. Like really, really smiling. It was such a challenge and my body aches today from really putting it through a tough course, but I also feel so refreshed and relaxed. There were no crowds, there was no pressure in terms of time, I didn't feel sick from pushing myself too hard, I just felt happy that I had spent the morning with great friends out in the wilderness enjoying life. I think this is the beginning of something great, I can feel it. I think the 50k is in my future... :)

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations, you three! As one of the volunteers, I can honestly attest: you did NOT "fossilize"!!!
    [And I can predict that not only is 50k in your future, but also 50-miles and beyond!]
    I'm Rich who was at the turnaround with Jennifer (the lovely volunteer) who kept the buffet well stocked. I was probably fossilizing when you all came through. ;-)

    ReplyDelete