Sunday, February 2, 2014

Burps and burpees!

February is here! January is over! For a group of my crazy runner friends (I mean that with love) and I this is very exciting news. Partly because it means we are one month closer to running outside without a need for a face mask and 18 layers of clothing, but also partly because it means that the January burpee challenge has come to an end.

If you are not one of my crazy runner friends (again, so much love), you may be wondering what is a burpee, and what is the burpee challenge?

Well, to start, this is a burpee:

Looks fun, right? Ah, not so much...

And the burpee challenge? That entailed a group of my runner friends completing 20 burpees a day, every day, in the month of January.

Who in the world came up with that idea? Um, not sure... ok, ok, I admit it. I did. It was me. It turns out, I'm just as crazy (if not crazier) as the rest of them!

And so, here we are. The month of January has passed. We grumbled our way through it, but we have stronger cores to show for it and will be happily running through February knowing that we don't have to go home and do our burpees. 

In that the name burpee has the word burp in it, I can't hold back from sharing a conversation between one of my students and I this week on the topic of burps. I would love to say that this is not a typical conversation, but it does happen at least once a week these days.

Me: Eddy, you really need to cover your mouth when you burp.

Eddy: Why?

Me: Well, it's pretty loud and it's nice to put your hand over your mouth so that it isn't quite so loud. It's also polite, you're giving a signal that it was an accident and you didn't mean to do it.

Eddy: Oh. Ok, I will try.

(long pause)

Eddy: Ms. Rajanen?

Me: Yes?

Eddy: What should I do about my toots?



Oh, I dare you not to laugh when someone says that to you!

Happy February!









1 comment: