Monday, January 27, 2014

Welcome to Teaching in my Tennies!

Hello!

Welcome to Teaching in my Tennies!

This blog has been floating around in my brain for the past six months or so and I am very happy to finally have it up and running. This blog, like many wonderful things in my life, came about at the suggestion of really wonderful people.

Last summer I accomplished something big. I swam, biked, and ran my way to being a 70.3 ironman finisher. At the finish line and in the days following the race, I felt on top of the world. I couldn’t stop smiling, talking incessantly about my race, and telling anyone who would listen the details of my tire popping, how miserable I felt on the run, and how I had swam under people to make it through the choppy water. I couldn’t stop talking because I didn’t want to forget.

After listening to my endless ironman chatter over phone, text and email, two really fantastic women suggested something to me: why not write about it?

Write about it? For who? Nobody wants to read that. Where would I post that? Nobody wants to read that…

Well, I went ahead and wrote about it and while a hugely rewarding part of the experience was that I received a lot of heartwarmingly positive responses (thank you, by the way, if you were a part of that), something else happened that made me start to think about this blog. Something that I would call magical. When I wrote that race report, it became mine. It became permanent. It became something that nobody could ever take away and that I would always have. And truth be told, I’ve read it a couple, well hundred, times since the race.

Fast forward to now. It is snowy, cold January in Chicago and the idea of writing a blog keeps creeping into my mind. Partly because we’re going on day two away from school and teachers start to go a little batty around this time, but also because those same two fantastic women keep telling me that I could do this, there is plenty to write about, and it will be an incredible experience...and so, here I am.

I have a lot of hopes for this little blog. I hope to write about my experience as a teacher in an urban, slightly dysfunctional but somehow charming, school district. I hope to share thoughts on current education policies that I’m learning about through an amazing policy fellowship I have recently started. I hope to give a window into doing crazy things like triathlons and marathons as a fairly normal person. I hope to talk about the many events and experiences that give meaning to my life. But more than anything, I hope to grow and learn and change through this blog. I hope to give a positive spin on subjects that don’t always get a lot of positive light, and I hope that just like my race-report, it will become something permanent that I will love.

Oh, and the name? Well, I’m a teacher and I run, so I basically teach in my tennies all the time. Just kidding, not all the time, I have some fashion sense!

Stay tuned...

2 comments:

  1. Best thing to happen to blogger since adsense

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay...way to go, Krista...you blog on, girl!
    Btw, I'd love to hear or read about your triathlon experience....I don't think
    I ever heard the full account. I should have you come in and share with my class!
    =)

    ReplyDelete